
Today's News:
Saudis foil 'air attack plotters'
Saudi Arabia says it has foiled a plot by militants to carry out suicide air attacks on oil installations and military bases.
There's been a smattering of attacks (and "foiled" attacks) in Saudi in the last five years. Mornings like these, when the news is aflutter with my secondary hometown, are bizarre at best. Aside from traffic insanity and the occassional harrasser, Saudi is the epitome of tranquil to me.
News like this or Warden's Messages (warnings from the gov) are sombering. They say vague things like "Current information suggests that al-Qaida and affiliated organizations continue to plan terrorist attacks against U.S. interests in multiple regions, including Europe, Asia, Africa and the Middle East. These attacks may employ a wide variety of tactics to include assassinations, kidnappings, hijackings and bombings."
Also sombering: the impending movie "The Kingdom." It's about an attack on a housing compound in Saudi. The trailer looks like it was shot across the street from my parents' house.
Anyway, I try not to be obsessed about the possibilities. Really, I don't worry about it - and neither does my family - but I am fascinated by the politics and pressures that result in this attempted or realized violence. The controversy (minus the death toll, naturally) is part of why I love that place. There's room for improvement. So, if you think about it, pray about it!

2 comments:
Yea, we're real excited about that movie coming out.
Have you seen the trailer? It's YOUR house!
Post a Comment