One week 'til half-marathon. I've undertrained, but thanks to today's LOOOOONG run (well, long for me - not long for Emily or Christine or Sarah Anne), I am not underestimating what those miles can do.
There are beautiful things that happen to the body, specifically the intestines, as the miles tick by. Today, despite the protest of my muscles, running was great. The sun - thank the good Lord - was acting summer-y. The sidewalks around Calhoun were packed with people and puppies.
Speaking of puppies, Justin & Angie & I took Monster to the Dog Park. If you've never been, find a dog and make it happen. And if you see a super-stocky bulldog, steal it. They are that cute.
Monday, April 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
I didn't know you were doing a half! Congrats! When's the race? Are you doing the Earth Day half-marathon? Is that next Saturday? I've done that one twice if you want some advice. You go girl!
Good job! What time did you go? How far did you go?
Brady ~
Advice? Yes. Please. How do I keep running for that long?? I thought of you and Naomi when I was at Calhoun yesterday. I think this'll be my first and last half.
Chrissy ~
@ 1 o'clock-ish. I ran two Calhouns and another 3 mile (?) path closer to my house. How was your/Sarah Anne's run?
i love it when you have the runs! why wouldyou even try this crazy stuff??? running a marathon? I mean Anna really. I don't even attempt it....therefore i never get the runs.
Advice:
1. Don't defeat yourself before you cross the starting line.
2. You CAN run that long, even if it means running at a slower pace than you usually do.
3. Limit yourself to a sip or two of the provided sports drink at every or every other station.
4. I hope you have a food plan ready. I really like eating a banana and a slice of toast with peanut butter about an hour and a half before a race. If you tend to get hungry during a race, cut up Clif bars (if you don't mind them) and have a bite when you feel like you need it. I don't mind when my stomach rumbles as I run. It's far worse (at least for me) to have a full stomach when I run.
5. Gum helps distract me and prevents my mouth tasting weird. I brought Life Savers along for my marathon. It gave me a little sugar boost. I went through a pack or two. I never got used to gel, so I ate the candy and the Clif bites.
6. Mentall prepare -- look at the course ahead of time. You're going to want to know where those big hills are located. Oddly, I've almost thrown up on the big hill in St. Cloud both times I ran the half there. The first time it was a surprise. The second time I knew what to expect, and I slowed down. I still gagged, though. Oh well.
7. Go out for a nice, carb-loaded dinner either the night or two nights prior to the race. But don't stuff yourself and don't eat anything that's too rich (i.e. not alfredo sauce, lady). Get plenty of fluids this week and get in your eight hours of sleep.
8. And last -- you can do this. I probably undertrained my first race and I finished just under two hours -- my best time for a half. There will be a lot of excitement that day, and it'll help you carry through the borings, pains, etc.
OK, so I made a bunch of grammatical errors in the last comment. My bad.
Brady,
GREAT tips! The puke part makes me a little nervous, but oh well. Christine & I just discussed bananas y peanut butter bread, by the way. I will take your advice!
Post a Comment