By 10 a.m. this morning, two jokes I made had flopped.
First joke ~
A board member emailed me and said he wouldn't be able to make it to the next meeting; he had a conflict with some people from out-of-town. My response:
"Good luck resolving that conflict. Out-of-towners can be brutal."
Even as I typed it, I giggled. Unfortunately, the board member wrote back and tried to explain to me there was no controversy; he just meant they had visitors arriving then. Joke one down.
Second joke ~
Someone asked me for icebreaker ideas. Knowing it was inappropriate, I offered the following suggestion:
Ask them "Have you ever gone skinny dipping? Would you do it again?"
The person gently explained why it wasn't the best option. Joke two also deemed not amusing.
I've got to figure out how to increase my funny-mess.
Tuesday, January 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
I'm person number 2! But I should note that my response was meant to be both gentle as well as funny. Can you imagine our small group members imagining each other naked?? Awkward!
There are a number of things that you can do to increase your funniness:
a) It is very important that you have a command of the English language. Some people (the funny ones) have a way with words, and other people (the non-funny ones)... well... um... not have way.
b) You are more likely to be funny if you FEEL funny. So I would suggest putting something in your shoes, something like a slice of bologna or a banana peal. That way, throughout the day you will feel funny, which will help you be funny.
c) If you can get someone (who is funny) to narrate your life for you, you will seem more funny. This works because the narrator can save you from unfunny moments by adding witty remarks.
d) Whenever the camera focuses on you, be sure to look at it and give a quizzical, confused, or a Oh-My-Gosh-I-Can't-Believe-He's-Doing-That look.
e) Like everything else in life, comedy takes practice and study. So listen to, watch, and read the works of as many comedians as you can. Also, try to be funny to as many people as possible. Shy away from practicing on friends and family, as they are the most likely to give you grief from your failed attempts. Random people you've never met are the best.
f) Find someone who is funny, and work to become an apprentice or sidekick for that person.
g) Find personal stories that are funny, and work them up. Practice them over and over again, so when it comes time for you to tell a story, you will have ammunition ready. The more stories you have the better, for your usefulness to your friends is determined by your MTTSF (Mean Time To Story Failure - a measure of how long you can go before repeating stories...)
h) I hear timing is important.
i) Catch phrases can be good, as long as they aren't lame. Tread carefully here.
I hope these suggestions help not only you, but many other people in this world who wish to be funny, but can't seem to find the way.
I think your problem is email. You can't joke via email unless your joke is something like "I hope a tyranosaurus destroys everything you care about it." I suggest you stick to video phone.
Wow. Christine, Dan, Ben, thank you. These are the greatest comments ever composed!
thanks, angie! try it with a business meeting...or maybe the opera donors
maybe it's just that the people you interacted with weren't funny themselves and were unable to grasp the humor that was being conveyed?
Tho in general I agree with Ben, it's really hard to be funny over e-mail.
Thank you, Ann. I'd like to think that's the case here (but maybe THAT'S just my pride...hmm....)
Post a Comment