Saturday, October 21, 2006

Supplications & Knee-Slappers

One serious thing & a some not-too-serious, but fun(ny), things:

I'm still reading Merton's Inner Experience, about contemplative life. I'm not sure if I'm any nicer or less selfish...or less demanding or eaiser to be with now than I ever was, but that's certainly my goal. He is great, though. The hoodie four (which would've been 5 and 1/2, but Laney was feelin' the pregnance effects) met at Sebastian Joe's Thursday night. (Emily, you look fake-tan in that pic. What's up?) We talked about bits of Merton's other writings and talked about prayer: about whether or not we do it, about whether or not we should worry about how to do it. It was a fab disco.

Things Merton says:
"The contemplative does not seek to know external things. He ceases to be guided by them. He or she seeks no human and earthly satisfaction, except what is willed by God or connected with His will."

"If we pass 'beyond' the inner 'I' (our identity as we want to hold onto it), we sail forth into the immense darkness in which we confront the 'I am' of the Almighty."


OK, for fun I want to point out what is probably the best blog entry written by man. My friend Ben (whose picture Sarah is posed with, below) wrote an entry a few days ago that I CANNOT get over. It's entitled 'Understanding My Readers.' His blog is linked right over there --> (Ben Bella). I'm too lazy to link it here. But I've been reading it repeatedly.

Also, we have a mouse. I SWEAR I saw him scurry across our floor. I am literally mad about it.

And FINALLY, I saw my old friends (and roommmates) Josh, Dusty and John at their maze of a huge house in Uptown last night. Those boys sure can throw a dinner party. Hot Apple Cider? Yes, I'll take some.

That was after opera rehearsal. It was the first time I've seen the whole show and I was blown away by the talent. P.S. I feel pretty non-sophisticated next to the opera crowd. Cest la vie. (The Opera's in French!)

And that was after shopping for multiple babies. I know a bunch of little humans that are about to become un-contained by wombs. Tiny baby clothes! Tiny baby shoes (pink) and scarves (pastel yellow) and mittens (with baby animal pictures)! I could hardly stand it. The shoes and slippers are so tiny, not even our (hated) mouse could fit in them.

Something's out of place right now....I'm just feeling this absence. Perhaps someone's in Chicago.

Oh, look! It's us at Sebastian Joe's.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I DO look fake. It's either the lighting or the contrast of the pastey white girl I am trying to eat. I love you, Christine.

al said...

Emileek:

I'm so glad to see your comments, my little flapjack. Let's start a babysitter's club together. The little humans LOVE you!

christinesfakeblog said...

I'm pasty and I'm back!

al said...

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack.

Brady said...

yes, lady, washington is like my third home. i like it, but it's certainly not where my heart is. it'll do for now:)

how are you? i miss getting coffee and running with you.